CIVIL SERVICE BOARD
111 Ladiga Street SE
Jacksonville, AL 36265
The City of Jacksonville Civil Service Board consists of five (5) members appointed by the senator and representative representing Jacksonville:
Chairman: A. G. Baggett
Vice-Chairman: Debra Jolley
Secretary: Sharon Abernathy
The functions of the Board are:
1) To formulate a set of rules in accordance with the law and make revisions and amendments thereto as needed.
2) As provided by the Law and by Rule, to hear and decide appeals and protests of disciplinary action taken against an employee who has permanent status or who has had permanent status in another class at the time of his appointment to his present position.
3) In any investigation or hearing conducted by the Board, to have the power to examine witnesses under oath and compel their attendance or the production of evidence before it by subpoena issued in the name of the Board. Any employee refusing to appear or testify shall be subject to disciplinary action as provided by Section 14 of the civil Service Act for the City of Jacksonville.
4) To hold hearings on and adopt or revise the position classification plan.
5) To prepare the following with the advice and consent of the governing body:
a pay plan for all employees in the classified service. Such pay plan must include, for each class of positions, a minimum and a maximum rate or rates as may otherwise in specific instances be fixed by law or city ordinance and such intermediate rates as may be deemed necessary or advisable by the Board.
The Board holds its regular meeting the first Monday of every month at 5:30 PM in the Civil Service Office, unless otherwise posted. Any business requiring action by the Board must be received, in writing, at least seven (7) calendar days before the regular meeting date.
Civil Service Examinations
Whenever a vacancy open to the public exists, the Board will prepare public notice of the position. No applications are to be taken until there is a vacancy and the position has been advertised. No applications are to be taken after the closing date for applying has expired.
Examinations for employment shall be prepared by or under The direction of the Civil Service Board and may be, as determined by the Board, assembled or disassembled and may include written, oral, physical, or performance tests. They may take into consideration such factors as education, experience, character, physical fitness, appearance, or any other qualifications which the Civil Service Board determines as entering into the testing of the relative fitness of applicants.
For information on current openings, please click on Employment on the sidebar. For questions concerning any of the positions listed, please email the Civil Service Board Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org.