Frequently Asked Questions

I was given a ticket for Expired/Improper Tag. I have since renewed the tag. Can I just bring in verification and have my ticket dismissed?  NO, by law your tag must be properly displayed at all times. If you would like to talk to the judge about it, you must appear in court on your court date.

I do not wish to enter a plea on my ticket. Can I just pay it?  NO, by Alabama law, you must enter a plea of guilty or not guilty on your ticket. Magistrates can only accept payment if it is accompanied by a plea of guilty. If you wish to enter a not guilty plea, you MUST appear in court.

Can my spouse/parent/friend pay my ticket for me?  If your spouse/parent/friend has your copy of the ticket with your signature on the back of the ticket (under defendant’s signature) and it is a “no-court-appearance-required” ticket, then we will accept payment. However, if any court action has been taken on your case (i.e. a FTA warrant), then you will have to take care of it yourself.

I plan to mail my ticket along with a payment. Does it need to be received by the Court by the court date?  YES! Our office does not go by postmarked dates! If you are unsure as to whether or not your payment will get to our office by your court date, your best bet is to pay it in-person at the Municipal Court office.

I received a ticket for an equipment violation. What do I need to do to have this ticket dismissed?  You must have your vehicle repaired and inspected by a police officer within 72 hours. After the police officer inspects your car, the officer will sign the back of the ticket. You must then turn in the ticket to the Municipal Court office. Your ticket will then be reviewed by the judge and dismissed.

I don’t see my charge listed on the fine schedule. Does this mean I need to appear in court?  YES! You may call the court office at (256) 435-6960 for more details.

I paid for a ticket but the department of public safety says that my license is still suspended. What do I need to do to take care of this?  If your license is suspended because of non-payment of a traffic citation, you must first pay the fine and associated costs of the citation. After the ticket has been paid, our office will issue a clearance to the Department of Public Safety (DPS). At this point, you may contact DPS and request that your license be reinstated. DPS will then tell you the requirements that you must fulfill in order to get your license reinstated. DPS will not reinstate your license based on receiving clearance from our office.

I have a citation that I received in another city, can I pay it at Jacksonville?  NO! You can only pay citations issued by Jacksonville Police or Jacksonville State University Police Officers. The City of Jacksonville does not have jurisdiction over other city’s/counties traffic citations.

I was notified that there is a warrant for my arrest. What do I need to do to take care of this?  In order to take care of an outstanding warrant, you must turn yourself in to the Jacksonville Police Department. After the warrant has been processed, you will be given an opportunity to post a bond and you will be given a court date. You may contact the Jacksonville Municipal Court office at (256) 435-6960 to receive specific information pertaining to your case.

What type of bond may I use?  Every warrant has a specific bond amount attached to it. As long as it is not a “Failure To Appear” charge, you may use a bonding company, property bond, or cash. If a “Failure To Appear” warrant has been issued for your arrest, you MUST use cash.

I wish to just plead guilty and pay my fine. Will the court allow me to do that?  In certain cases (i.e. minor traffic citations, etc.) the court will allow you to enter a plea before a magistrate and pay your fines and court costs. Please contact the Municipal Court Office at (256) 435-6960 for additional information.

After I go to court, will the judge give me additional time to pay?  Payment for fines and court costs is expected at the time you appear in court. However, you may ask the judge for additional time to pay at the time of court.

How many years will a charge stay on my record?  If you are charged and convicted of a criminal offense, it will always stay on your record.

How do I get a court-appointed attorney?  You can apply for a court-appointed attorney when you appear in court. The judge will review your application to determine if you are eligible. Eligibility is based on financial need.